Monday- Stir-fry Over Rice
Tuesday- Broccoli Mex Soft Tacos
Wednesday- Calzones, Salad
Thursday- Vegetarian French Dip Sandwich, Steamed Broccoli
Friday- Portobello “Bella” Burgers, Fries
- Remember to only buy what you need, not what you have! A quick check of your pantry and fridge might save you $$ and time.
- If your spice collections is small your cost will be higher at the start, but your tastebuds will thank you for your purchases.
Veggies and Fruits
3-4 sweet yellow onions
2 Large Red Onion
Green Bell Pepper 2-3
2-4 Portobello Mushroom Caps
1 lb Portobello Mushrooms or baby bella mushrooms
2-3 large baking potatoes
Yellow Bell Pepper
Red Bell Pepper
1 head broccoli
Frozen Corn kernels
8 oz mushrooms
Minced Ginger or powdered Ginger
Minced Garlic (Because garlic is in so many of my meals I buy a large jar of pre-minced garlic, available in the un-refrigerated, shelved section of the store)
Salad Fixings for 3-4 salads, such as lettuce, tomato, cucumber, etc.
1 can black beans
Better Than Bullion Veggie Broth
Sweet Chili Sauce
1 can baby corn
Cheese for pizza
Sliced Cheese or cheese replacement
2-4 French or Ciabatta Rolls
Provolone or cheese replacement
Stir-fry Over Rice
This stir-fry is good, but not as good as the one from last week, so I added sweet chili sauce. The flavor perked up and it tasted great. Basmati rice is the perfect base for this meal.
Notes: Use an oversized pan. I cooked mine in a wok.
Start basmati 30 minutes before you want to eat. Cook according to directions.
Stir-fry Recipe: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/veggie-stir-fry/
Broccoli Mex Soft Tacos
A warm, flavorful meal, this soft taco meal has a wonderful texture. It is not suited to topping with lettuce and tomato so I recommend sour cream, cheese, and guacamole.
Broccoli Mex Soft Tacos: View Recipe
Guacamole Recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/14064/easy-guacamole/
A normal pizza crust recipe, some sauce, mushrooms, and cheese made mouth-watering calzones. They were fast, from mix to table in less than 45 minutes. Mix the dough up in a large bowl and then knead it in the same bowl for less clean up.
Notes: Use any tomato based sauce, or even alfredo sauce. Slice mushrooms and prep cheese. As soon as your dough is ready the calzones can be assembled.
Pizza dough Recipe: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/user/2692581/recipe/no-yeast-pizza-dough
Vegetarian French Dip Sandwich, Steamed Broccoli
This sandwich was just scrumptious! It was easy to make and the taste makes you want to go back for more. To make it vegan simply substitute vegan cheese or leave it off completely. I made ours without any cheese and it worked great. This recipe does contain some brown sugar. I don’t know what would be an adequate substitute since it actually affects the flavor. If anyone tries it with a different sweetener leave a comment and let me know how it tasted.
Vegan French Dip Sandwich: https://www.budgetbytes.com/2016/12/vegetarian-french-dip-sandwiches/
Steamed Broccoli: For this meal I bought a steamable frozen broccoli pack. Microwave according to directions.
Portobello “Bella” Burgers
These amazing mushrooms turn into yummy, meaty grilled burgers. Marinating them before cooking gives them a rich flavor, and paired with baked fries, they make an all-american meal come to life as a vegan delight.
- Plan to start the mushrooms marinating at least 30 min before cooking. They can be put in the marinade the night before or morning of cooking if you wish.
- I did not use cheese, avocado, or steak seasoning because I forgot to buy them. I am sure they would add lots of flavor. The olive oil can be omitted for a cleaner meal.
- The French fries recipe calls for oil but the fries can be made without. Simply hand toss fries in a bowl with seasoning and spray or wipe down the baking sheet with oil to minimize what gets in the food.
- I feel that the baking time is too long and too hot. Reduce to 400 degrees and start checking at 30 minutes so they do not burn. If potato is cubed or sliced thinly (shoestring fries) then baking will certainly be complete in 30 minutes.
Portobello Burger Recipe: http://www.skinnytaste.com/the-best-grilled-portobello-mushroom/
Oven Baked French Fries Recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/20849/baked-french-fries-i/